A case has been filed at Shah Ali Police Station over the brutal attack on pilgrims and devotees at the historic Shah Ali Mazar in Mirpur, Dhaka, naming nine individuals and accusing another 100 to 150 unidentified people. So far, police have arrested three suspects in connection with the incident. The arrested individuals are Sheikh Md. Sazzadul Haque Russell (38), Md. Azam (40), and Md. Arman Dewan (29). Confirming the matter to the media on Saturday night (May 16, 2026), Shah Ali Police Station Officer-in-Charge Jahangir Alam said CCTV footage analysis showed the three suspects directly participating in the attack, after which raids were conducted in different parts of Mirpur leading to their arrests. Police said the suspects are believed to be activists of Jamaat-e-Islami.
The case was filed by Reshmi Begum, a female devotee who was seriously injured during the attack. According to the complaint, she has been serving voluntarily at Shah Ali Mazar during ziyarat and annual Urs programs for the past 17 years. She stated that around midnight on Thursday, while thousands of devotees were gathered at the shrine, around 100 to 150 members and activists of Jamaat-e-Islami and its affiliated groups entered through the main gate armed with sticks and launched a sudden violent attack inside the shrine premises.
The complaint further alleges that the attackers tore apart the traditional red cloth covering the shirni cauldron and vandalized candle plates and other religious items inside the shrine. When Reshmi Begum attempted to resist, she was brutally assaulted and allegedly subjected to molestation after her clothes were torn. The attackers also reportedly damaged shrine property worth nearly 30,000 taka and snatched around 90,000 taka from visiting devotees. Police said operations are continuing to arrest the remaining accused individuals.
Meanwhile, the National Citizen Party (NCP) strongly condemned the attack and demanded immediate arrests and exemplary punishment for those involved. On Saturday, a high-level delegation led by NCP Joint Convener Sarwar Tushar visited the shrine premises and expressed solidarity with the injured devotees and victims of the attack. The delegation included central Joint Member Secretary Faridul Haque, Pritom Das, Humayra Noor, and several senior leaders of the party’s affiliated organizations. After visiting the shrine, the delegation met with the Officer-in-Charge of Shah Ali Police Station and urged authorities to ensure swift justice.
Speaking after the visit, Sarwar Tushar said that over the past two years, planned attacks have repeatedly targeted shrines and Sufi establishments across the country. Referring to incidents in places including Philipnagar in Kushtia, he said the political identities of those involved were clearly visible, yet attempts were being made to cover up the truth by repeatedly labeling such incidents as “mob attacks.” He emphasized that responsibility cannot be avoided in this manner and demanded the formation of a high-powered and impartial investigation commission to probe all attacks on shrines across the country over the past two years.